[Samba] libcups.so.2 plus some general / opinion type questions (maybe newbie questions)

steve.mayes at SAFe-mail.net steve.mayes at SAFe-mail.net
Tue Dec 3 13:08:00 GMT 2002

Hi,

We have several Redhat 7.2 servers which contain; amongst other things, an important company database. I have been asked to install samba and winbind to provide seamless integration.

Now the situation currently is:

Redhat 7.2 contains samba 2.2.1 rpm (i.e no winbind)
Downloaded samba-2.2.7-1.i386.rpm from samba.org mirror
rpm –ivh samba-2.2.7-1.i386.rpm  then I get a failed dependency error.

Redhat support was, in this case, not too good, they suggested either upgrading to 7.3 or 8.0, unfortunately this is not an option with the DB server.

Libcups.so.2 is part of cups. If I install cups it could affect the current printing through linux (especially on the DB server).
If no printing is being handled via samba and all we need is unified logins and file access am I ok doing:

rpm –ivh –nodeps samba-2.2.7-1.i386.rpm

Follow up non-samba question:  Why does Linux make me feel like a complete newbie and a luser so easily?

Steve