[Samba] winbind unhealthy

daniel.jarboe at custserv.com daniel.jarboe at custserv.com
Tue Dec 3 12:30:25 GMT 2002

RH 7.2 using samba 2.2.7 (installed from samba built RPM) for now...
Security=domain using winbind to authenticate against windows PDC.

Testparm says:
        winbind uid = 10000-20000
        winbind gid = 10000-20000
        template homedir = /home/%D/%U
        template shell = /bin/false
        winbind separator = +
        winbind cache time = 15
        winbind enum users = No
        winbind enum groups = No
        winbind use default domain = No

wbinfo -t returns Secret is Good
wbinfo -a MYDOMAIN+user%pass works correctly
wbinfo -u and -g returns the domain members/groups, but then ends
with 0xc0000233 which is STATUS_DOMAIN_CONTROLLER_NOT_FOUND.

getent passwd and getent groups returns only users/groups in files
though I have:
passwd:     files winbind nisplus
shadow:     files nisplus
group:      files winbind nisplus
in /etc/nsswitch.conf

I may have always had 0xc0000233 in wbinfo (not sure), but I know my
getent used to work.  A number of things have changed, though, like
I've upgraded samba from 2.2.5 up to 2.2.7 (including RC's), and am
now pointing at a different DC than I originally was.

Logs have stuff like:
[2002/12/03 06:54:38, 1] nsswitch/winbindd_user.c:winbindd_getpwnam(121)
  user 'MYDOMAIN+Guest' does not exist
Though MYDOMAIN+Guest shows up in a wbinfo -u

Any idea how to get things healthy again?
~ Daniel