[Samba] Winbind cannot find/connect to PDC.

Erik Enge eenge at prium.net
Tue Aug 20 03:18:01 GMT 2002

Thomas Baecker <Baecker at IRF.de> writes:

> I figured out that winbindd did not create a pipe in /tmp/.winbindd which it
> should do on startup. Tell me - does your winbindd do that correctly (you may
> need to move/delete some old /tmp/.winbindd directory before starting up the
> daemons)?

Aha!  Now we may be on to something.  I did have a /tmp/.winbindd, but
after I deleted it and restarted winbindd, it was not recreated.

How can we figure out why it isn't being created?  Any Samba developers
with insight to share?

> I understand that e.g. wbinfo sends requests to winbindd itself through that
> pipe. Maybe there is a problem creating/using the pipe on our systems?

That's certainly a possibility, but it's so weird that it was working
and now it isn't.

> I'm using a stripped down version of SuSE Linux 8.0 with samba built
> from a source rpm package. Libc version is 2.2.5 and libacl/libattr
> are taken from current XFS release.

I'm using a stripped down version of Redhat 7.2 with samba built from
2.2.5 source tar.gz.  Libc 2.2.4 and libacl/libattr are taken from
acl.bestbits.at (version 2.0.8 and 2.0.16 respectively, IIRC).

I tried rebooting into a kernel (2.4.7 instead of the 2.4.18 that the
ACLs are installed with) without the ACLs but that didn't help at all.

Erik.