[Samba] Winbind cannot find/connect to PDC.

Thomas Baecker Baecker at IRF.de
Mon Aug 19 21:34:01 GMT 2002

Hi!

> Hi all. Funny thing happend: I had winbindd working, but now I can't get it
> back up correctly.  I'm not sure what I'm doing differently. Samba version
> 2.2.5. 'wbinfo -u' says "Error looking up domain users".  I joined the
> domain with the command:
>	'smbpasswd -j OUR_DOMAIN -r thepdc -U Administrator'
> and this returned saying "Joined domain OUR_DOMAIN". Both smbd and nmbd are
> running, so is the ldap server if that matters. winbind says
> "NT_STATUS_DOMAIN_CONTROLLER_NOT_FOUND" but I'm really
> certain what that means.  I can ping the PDC, and I did join the domain.

Exactly the same happened to me! Before that I had samba version 2.2.2 working
with no problem at all - including winbindd.
Now e.g. wbinfo cannot 'ping' winbindd using 'wbinfo -p' command but winbindd
started up (with error messages like yours though).

I figured out that winbindd did not create a pipe in /tmp/.winbindd which it
should do on startup. Tell me - does your winbindd do that correctly (you may
need to move/delete some old /tmp/.winbindd directory before starting up the
daemons)?
I understand that e.g. wbinfo sends requests to winbindd itself through that
pipe. Maybe there is a problem creating/using the pipe on our systems?

I'm using a stripped down version of SuSE Linux 8.0 with samba built from a
source rpm package. Libc version is 2.2.5 and libacl/libattr are taken from
current XFS release.

Thomas