[Samba] Samba/Cups Newbie question...

David Sweeney dave at emtex.com
Tue Aug 13 05:00:59 GMT 2002

Hi,

I think that this is more a Samba query than a Cups one, as far as I can
tell from the
documentation anyway... I am running samba-2.2.5-1 and cups-1.1.16, I
have these
installed and working correctly... I have 50+ PC's (mixture of WinNT,
Win2k, WinXP
and Win9x/ME) printing to 6 queues on the server, 5 of these are RAW
queues printing
via lpd and ipp, and the other is a socket connected HP printer which
uses the HP ppd.

My question is how do I set up samba for "automatic driver download"? I
have searched
the newsgroups, looked through the man pages and the documentation but
can't
figure it out... I have started to get to grips with the rpcclient and
what it does but can't
quite figure out the rest...

Here is how I think it should be done but I can't get it to work...

1. get hold of the windows (or other OS/architecture) driver and extract
it to the printer driver
directory that I specify in samba.
2. use rpcclient  to adddriver specifying architecture, printer name,
driver file name, config file,
help file and driver files.

Can someone tell me where there is a step by step guide or offer me a
few pointers?

Many thanks,
Dave.

--
"Understand the fundamental concept that opinions are like belly buttons:
we all have one but they don't hold much water..."