[Samba] Printing to XP printer

MacLaren,Craig [Edm] Craig.MacLaren at EC.gc.ca
Thu Aug 8 05:47:05 GMT 2002

I am having a bit  of a problem getting my Samba printer configuration to
work with Windows XP(I am running samba on Linux Redhat 7.3).  My other
shares seem to work as I can find my files on the my Linux system using XP.
I have used redhat 7.3 kde printer configurations to create the appropriate
files.  The result is when I try to send a print job  the printer kicks into
to gear but only a blank page appears .   I am using Samba 2.2.5 and my
printer is an hp photosmart 1218(Ink Jet).

The following is my  smb.conf file:

#======================= Global Settings
=====================================
[global]

# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
   workgroup = canada

# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
   server string = Samba Server

# if you want to automatically load your printer list rather
# than setting them up individually then you'll need this
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes

# It should not be necessary to spell out the print system type unless
# yours is non-standard. Currently supported print systems include:
# bsd, sysv, plp, lprng, aix, hpux, qnx
   printing = lprng

# this tells Samba to use a separate log file for each machine
# that connects
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m

# Put a capping on the size of the log files (in Kb).
   max log size = 50

# Security mode. Most people will want user level security. See
# security_level.txt for details.
   security = user

# You may wish to use password encryption. Please read
# ENCRYPTION.txt, Win95.txt and WinNT.txt in the Samba documentation.
# Do not enable this option unless you have read those documents
  encrypt passwords = yes
  smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

# Unix users can map to different SMB User names
  username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

# Most people will find that this option gives better performance.
# See speed.txt and the manual pages for details

# WINS Server - Tells the NMBD components of Samba to be a WINS Client
#              Note: Samba can be either a WINS Server, or a WINS Client,
but NOT both
   wins server = 142.97.202.50

# DNS Proxy - tells Samba whether or not to try to resolve NetBIOS names
# via DNS nslookups. The built-in default for versions 1.9.17 is yes,
# this has been changed in version 1.9.18 to no.
   dns proxy = no

==============================
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes

# NOTE: If you have a BSD-style print system there is no need to
# specifically define each individual printer
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
   public=yes
   guest ok = no
   writable = no
   printable = yes

#======================EOF================================================

Here is my printcap file.......

# /etc/printcap
#
# DO NOT EDIT! MANUAL CHANGES WILL BE LOST!
# This file is autogenerated by printconf-backend during lpd init.
#
# Hand edited changes can be put in /etc/printcap.local, and will be
included.

ij_craig:\
                :ml=0:\
                :mx=0:\
                :sd=/var/spool/lpd/ij_craig:\
                :af=/var/spool/lpd/ij_craig/ij_craig.acct:\
                :sh:\
                :lp=|/usr/share/printconf/util/smbprint:\
                :lpd_bounce=true:\
                :if=/usr/share/printconf/util/mf_wrapper:

###
## Everything below here is included verbatim from /etc/printcap.local
##
###
# printcap.local
#
# This file is included by printconf's generated printcap,
# and can be used to specify custom hand edited printers.

Hopefully someone can help...

Thanks Craig.....