[Samba] Folder Creation Errors

Peter Shearer shearerp at nwcc.edu
Wed Aug 7 17:08:02 GMT 2002

Hello, Everyone --

How can I create a custom printer form for use on the printers shared
by Samba?  I tried to add a printer form via the "Server Properties"
gizmo from a Win2k Pro client, but I get "Form formname could not be
added.  Operation could not be completed."  When I do an enumforms
<printername> via rpcclient to the Samba server, I get an
NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL.  If I do this against our WinNT 4.0 server
with printers, it gives me the list.  Is there some funky hack I can
use?

This is becoming critical because I NEED to move the printers on this
server to something else (preferably a Samba server) quickly, but I
can't do it if I cannot assign a custom printer form to a tray (i.e.
"letterhead" to the tray which has the letterhead in it).  I have
found solutions to all of my other printing issues with Samba.  I'm
using Samba 2.2.5 with all of the post-2.2.5 patches supplied by
Jerry applied, cups 1.1.14-15, on Red Hat 7.3 with kernel 2.4.18-5.

Second, when creating a new folder on a Samba share from a Windows
2000 client, I get the following message within Windows:

You may not be able to access files created in the folder H:\New
Folder.
Do you want to continue?

This message is harmless; if I go ahead and create the folder, it is
created and can be accessed without issues.  This does not happen on
any of the other shares, just the homes share (referenced via the
user's name, i.e. net use h: \\server\username).  I have disabled
oplocks, as per my smb.conf file below.

[global]
	workgroup = THE-ROCK
	netbios name = ADAM
	security = DOMAIN
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	password server = ANDREW SAINTPETER
	username map = /usr/local/samba/private/usermap
	log file = /usr/local/samba/var/%m.log
	large readwrite = Yes
	name resolve order = lmhosts wins bcast host
	time server = Yes
	deadtime = 1
	socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_KEEPALIVE
	printcap name = cups
	enumports command = /usr/local/samba/bin/enumprinters
	os level = 60
	wins support = Yes
	remote announce = 192.168.0.255/THE-ROCK 192.168.1.255/THE-ROCK
	host msdfs = Yes
	printer admin = root @root @PrinterAdmins shearerp dougv
	printing = cups

[groups]
	comment = Department Group Folders
	path = /home/groups
	admin users = @GDriveAdmins
	read only = No
	create mask = 0666
	directory mask = 0777
	hide unreadable = Yes
	oplocks = No
	level2 oplocks = No

[public]
	path = /home/Public
	admin users = @root
	write list = @Staff @root
	read only = No
	create mask = 0664
	directory mask = 0775
	hide unreadable = Yes
	oplocks = No
	level2 oplocks = No

[print$]
	path = /usr/local/samba/printers
	admin users = @root @PrinterAdmins
	write list = @root @PrinterAdmins
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes

[homes]
	read only = No
	create mask = 0600
	directory mask = 0700
	hide unreadable = Yes
	veto files =
/.gnome*/.bash*/.ssh/.netscape/.saw*/.X*/.emacs/.gtkrc*/.kxm*/.scre*/.
wl/.ncftp/.mc*/
	browseable = No
	oplocks = No
	level2 oplocks = No

[profiles]
	comment = User Profiles Directory
	path = /home/profiles
	admin users = @root
	read only = No
	create mask = 0600
	directory mask = 0700
	nt acl support = No

Thank you ahead of time for all of your help!
Peter D. Shearer
Network Administrator
Northwest Christian College, Eugene, OR
shearerp at nwcc.edu   http://www.nwcc.edu