[Samba] "Denied Access" when using APW?????? HELP!!!!

Philip Burrow phil.burrow at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Aug 4 04:44:02 GMT 2002

> Nope I just checked and the permissions on the printcap are set such that
> root and the group printadm are able to read, write, and execute them.  My
> user is both in the printadm group and is in the samba admin list in
> smb.conf.  Looking at the logs I get every indication that I am properly
> mapping to root when I come through samba.

Well it's odd that you're getting Access Denied for anything as root. If you
really are logged in as root then it can't really be a file permissions
issue, so it's more like a software based access issue, like samba isnt
mapping you to root correctly.

>     On a different note, after I manually created and attached the
drivers,
> I found that when I connect to the printer from Windows and try to open
the
> properties menu for this printer a protection fault.  This is an HP CP1700
> printer.  When I use client side drivers, everything works fine.  Why
would
> putting the drivers onto the server make such a difference?

It shouldn't do. Are the drivers signed by MS or not? I have had some
problems with the XP print spooler crashing when I went to properties on a
printer with unsigned HP drivers. In the end I just used Windows' built in
ones.

Don't know if this will be any help but here's my print$ definition from
smb.conf:

[print$]
        path = /var/printers
        admin users = @"Domain Admins" root @lp
        guest ok = Yes
        create mask = 0644
        create mask = 0755
        write list = @lp root @"Domain Admins"

I've also got: printer admin = @"Domain Admins" root @lp

Permissions on /var/printers are 755 root:root
Permissions on /var/printers/W32x86 are 755 root:users

Samba 2.2.5, no patches, RH7.2, LPRng 3.8.12-1

Phil.