[Samba] Desperately needing help with Samba

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Sat Aug 3 21:16:02 GMT 2002

I guess you are new at this.
Look into the Redhat firewall first.
I don't know what your security needs are right now. If the REDHAT machine
is not facing the internet or whatever,
try ipchains -L -n | less
to see if that will show your rules.
If it does, ipchains -F might flush them all, letting you connect to it on
these ports:

netbios-ns	137/tcp				# NETBIOS Name Service
netbios-ns	137/udp
netbios-dgm	138/tcp				# NETBIOS Datagram Service
netbios-dgm	138/udp
netbios-ssn	139/tcp				# NETBIOS session service
netbios-ssn	139/udp

If this doesn't get anything done, make sure the daemons are running on the
Redhat box.
ps ax | grep mbd
assuming that RedHat isn't using xinetd to run samba.

In that case,
netstat -anp | grep 139 might show xinetd listening.
If this command fails, drop the "p".

Joel