[Samba] User directory shares with Samba, Winbind, and Win2k domain - Partial solution

Daniel Curry dcurry at cariocas.com
Thu Aug 1 09:01:02 GMT 2002

Mats,

After a couple hours of reading and trial and error, this is what I got to work for me.

[username]
        path = /home/USERS/username
        writable = yes
        comment = User File Storage
        valid users = DOMIAN+username
        create mode = 0664
        directory mode = 0775
        browseable = no

Then on the directory structure it self I had to run a 'chown -R DOMAIN+username.DOMAIN+group userdir'  This set the file and group ownership of the directory to be assigned to those users and their group (or department) according to the NT/Win2k domain controllers authentication system.  Winbind is providing me with this authentication link.  Next I get to start messing with the actual directories and folders that hold the departmental and groups public and semi-public files.  I have not tested it yet, but I believe that assigning the public and semi public folder to the department head as owner and the department as group (DOMAIN+Depthead.DOMIAN+dept), then a 775 on the public and 770 on the semi public SHOULD grant the right permissions I need to the members of the department to modify the public and semi public files, as well set the desired permissions on the semi public, where the group can see and modify, but the rest of the company can not.

This is how I am trying to make it work with Samba+winbind and Win2k authentication. I hope you are able to find a solution that works for you.

Daniel Curry
IT Manager
Cariocas
625 Second Street
Suite 201
San Francisco, CA 94107
ph: 415-348-6516
fx: 415-348-6505
cell: 510-579-6680

"If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z,
X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut."
  - Albert Einstein