[Samba] Question on samba as PDC and fileserver

Bradley W. Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Mon Apr 29 13:25:02 GMT 2002

On Mon, 2002-04-29 at 16:09, Chris Mason wrote:
> For a project I am working on I have to configure a Redhat 7.2 server as the
> file server and PDC for a small company network of 12 workstations and a
> couple of network printers. The client was happy to have a Linux server as
> it will provide IMAP, DNS, and tape backup of the email and home
> directories.
> My question is, how well is Samba working as a PDC,
it works great - it's just missing the domain groups in 2.2.3a
>how should I configure
> the network so that Samba authenticates the users
add the users to the unix machine and to smbpasswd (see the howto
collection)
>and provides name
> resolution for the Windows machines.
Just enable wins support, and feed it to the clients in your dhcp
configuration.
> Anything else to be aware of, any gotchas?
follow the howto and you should be fine -
if the clients are XP or W2Ksp2 learn about the signorseal reg change.

brad