[Samba] Samba PDC W2k sp1/sp2

baiocco.f at filottrano.bcc.it baiocco.f at filottrano.bcc.it
Wed Apr 24 03:51:02 GMT 2002

I set up Samba (2.2.3a) as a PDC Server and a Profiles Server for my 80 clients
running Windows W2k Sp1 and W2k Sp2.

If the profile for example is created with a Sp2 client and changes are made,
after disconnecting and reconnecting with another Sp2 client the changes are
correctly displayed.

But if I modify with a Sp1 client a profile created with a Sp2 client, the
profile will be damaged (i.e. further changes made with a Sp2 client will be
ignored such as mail accounts or desktop wallpaper) and only changes made by sp1
 client will be correcty applyed both for sp1 and sp2 clients!

I use also smbuser file to map different users between Windows and Linux.

Here is my smb.conf file (I think it is ok):

[global]
   add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 100 -s /bin/false -M %u
   workgroup = BCCFILOTTRANO
   netbios name = FI0X07
   server string = Linux PDC Server (%v)
   hosts allow = 10.113. 127. 10.112.1.182
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = no
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 0
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
   username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
   interfaces = eth0 eth1
   local master = yes
   os level = 64
   domain master = yes
   preferred master = yes
   domain logons = yes
   logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
   logon drive = Z:
   logon home = \\%L\%U
   name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast
   wins support = yes
   dns proxy = yes

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes
   valid users = %S
   path = %H/NetDrive
   create mode = 0600
   directory mode = 0700

 [netlogon]
   comment = Network Logon Service
   path = /var/samba/netlogon
   guest ok = no
   browseable = no
   writable = no
   share modes = no

[profiles]
    comment = NT Profiles
    path = /var/samba/ntprofiles
    create mode = 0600
    directory mode = 0700
    writable = yes
    browseable = no
    guest ok = no
    nt acl support = no # I tried yes/no but no difference