CD-ROM Emulation [probably off-topic]

Bill Moran wmoran at iowna.com
Fri Sep 28 09:08:02 GMT 2001

> On 26 Sep, Erik Tews wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > A lot of windows-programms, mostly games, are only running if the
> > cd-rom is in the cd-drive of the windows-system. I would like to share
> > some cds on a samba-server. (copy them to harddisk or exporting /cdrom
> > via smb) But these programs don't accept if I have mounted
> > \\samba\cdrom to a drive letter. So I would like to know if there is
> > any windows-software which can make a mounted networking-share looking
> > like a cd-drive for other programms.

Check out the "volume" option in the smb.conf file.  It will allow you to
specify the volume name that windows sees for the share.  By default, this
is the name of the share, but by changing it to the volume name the original
CD had, you may be able to fool those windows games.

--
"Where's the robot to pat you on the back?"