CD-ROM Emulation [probably off-topic]

schatten at shark23.de schatten at shark23.de
Fri Sep 28 08:41:04 GMT 2001

On 26 Sep, Erik Tews wrote:
> Hi
>
> A lot of windows-programms, mostly games, are only running if the
> cd-rom is in the cd-drive of the windows-system. I would like to share
> some cds on a samba-server. (copy them to harddisk or exporting /cdrom
> via smb) But these programs don't accept if I have mounted
> \\samba\cdrom to a drive letter. So I would like to know if there is
> any windows-software which can make a mounted networking-share looking
> like a cd-drive for other programms.

there's an old program called "virtual cd-rom". (I used version 1.0)

this program allows one to create virtual cd-roms. I have put those
images to my samba server and it worked fine for me (StarCraft cd-rom).

virtual cd-rom uses a virtual driver and for version 1.0 it had only
win9x support ..

wolfgang