Newbie to Samba - getting '^M' characters from NT into PVCS o n UN IX

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Mon Sep 24 13:17:02 GMT 2001

Hello Tony,
Samba isn't the 'culprit', just the media used.  Samba does NOT insert
anything into the files that you copy over or have an application create
on a samba share.
The issue is that you are using a PC program to check out/modify the files,
and pc os'es (Win/dos, i mean) use crlf  as a ascii line terminator.  Unix
uses a lf only.  So when you view the files with a pc editor, the cr is
taken
as part of the line terminator, and doesn't show up.
To a Unix editor, the cr is just another piece of data, and shows up as
such.
There are utilities on many unix systems (dos2ux, ux2dos) to translate
between
these two text types, but samba does nothing in this regard.
Hope this helps,
Don