Misc. Samba questions

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Wed Oct 24 07:16:04 GMT 2001

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Steve Snyder wrote:

> 1. User xxxxx is logged into 2 machines, a Win2K box and a Linux box.
> When user yyyyy on a Win98 machine sends a message from WinPopup to
> user xxxxx, the message is received on only the Win2K machine.  (The
> Linux box is running LinPopup, which sends/receives messages just
> fine.)  Is this behavior expected, or should both machines with xxxxx
> logged in receive the message?

IIRC the username<0x03> netbios name is aunique name which means it can
only be registered to the user on one client at a time.  Use nmbdlookup to
verify.

> 2.  The "level2 oplocks" param is documented as improving the
> performance of Samba with WinNT/Win2K clients.  Does its use have a
> detrimental effect on Win98, Linux or OS/2 client performance?

No.  None of these latter clients support level2 oplocks.  OS/2
might.  I'm not sure.

cheers, jerry
 www.samba.org              SAMBA Team              jerry_at_samba.org
 www.plainjoe.org                                jerry_at_plainjoe.org