Misc. Samba questions

Steve Snyder swsnyder at home.com
Wed Oct 24 08:10:05 GMT 2001

On Wednesday 24 October 2001 09:19 am, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Steve Snyder wrote:
> > 1. User xxxxx is logged into 2 machines, a Win2K box and a Linux box.
> > When user yyyyy on a Win98 machine sends a message from WinPopup to
> > user xxxxx, the message is received on only the Win2K machine.  (The
> > Linux box is running LinPopup, which sends/receives messages just
> > fine.)  Is this behavior expected, or should both machines with xxxxx
> > logged in receive the message?
>
> IIRC the username<0x03> netbios name is aunique name which means it can
> only be registered to the user on one client at a time.  Use nmbdlookup
> to verify.

When sending a message via WinPopup, one has the option of specifying the
destination 2 ways: by user name and by machine name.  It is when
specifying the destination user name that I've seen this behavior.

User "xxxxx" may be logged to multiple machines simultaneously, with each
machine having a unique identity.  Apparently Samba directs the messages to
the first user named "xxxxx" it finds in its shares.

Thanks for the response.