Win2k and XP reconnecting problem

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Thu Nov 15 09:18:07 GMT 2001

Hi Gabriel,
This behavior is Microsoft's way of 'helping you'.
Basically, older win clients would (with the proper regedit hack) send your
username/plaintext password over without any confirmation, so reconnects
worked fine.
Win2k/WinXP is coded to NEVER send a plaintext password accross the wire
without specific interactive confirmation by the user, even though the
plaintext password registry hack is in place.
What this means is that even though you have told winxp to allow plaintext
passwords, it will ALWAYS bring up the incorrect password screen and make
you type in the username/password again, even though what you will type in
is identical to what you used to logon in the first place.

The second part of your message puzzles me, though; if you change smb.conf
so that security=user, and encrypt passwords=yes, AND you add your user name
to /etc/passwd, AND you add you username to smbpasswd (smbpasswd -a
username), I would expect you to be able to reconnect to the drives without
this annoying 'revalidation'....
After you have done the above, try doing a net use /delete on each of the
connections in question, and then reconnect to them, so that you get a
connection without being asked for the username and password; perhaps the
persistent connection is caching the original username/password that was
used to make the persistent connection to begin with, and until you remove
and reuse the connection, it keeps using the 'blank' password that it must
use because of the unencrypted password setting that was in place when the
net use was originally done...
Hope this helps,
Don