Win2k and XP reconnecting problem

Gabriel Juncu gjuncu at compas.ro
Thu Nov 15 08:27:07 GMT 2001

Hi List,

I am new to this list but I'm using Samba since 4 or 5 years ago. Now I
upgraded to Samba 2.2.2 and I have a problem (wich I am sure that was
discussed on this list but I can't find the thread):

Environment:
Linux Red Hat 7.1
Samba 2.2.2
I use test config:
-------------------------
[global]
  debug level = 100
  interfaces = eth0 eth2 127.0.0.1
  bind interfaces only = yes
  security = share
[test1]
  comment = TEST1
  path = /tmp
  read only = no
[test2]
  comment = TEST2
  path = /tmp
  read only = no

-------------------------

I don't use domains, only workgroup COMPASWG.
All clients are configured for plain text passwords and workgroup logon.
Win95, Win98, Win98SE machines connect to test shares ok, also at logon reconnect ok.
But with Windows 2000 and Windows XP clients I have the
following problem:
Every time I logon, for every share mapped to a drive I get the message
"Incorrect password for \\Main\test[n]" and a password prompt. After I type
my password, the drive mapping goes ok. With the debug level = 100 and
#define DEBUG_PASSWORDS I find that Windows 2000 and Windows XP do transmit a
empty password together the name, and that's why I get Incorrect password.

I must stress that from Windows 95 and 98, logon reconnection works ok. Also
reconnecting Windows 2000 or XP to a Win98 workstation at logon works ok,
without reconfirming the password for every share.

I tried with security=user and with encrypted passwords but nothing helps, I
must reconfirm my password for every share at every logon.

Can anybody help me to solve my problem? Thank you!

Gabriel Juncu