Upgrading 2.2.0 to 2.2.2

Chris Tooley ctooley at amoa.org
Wed Nov 14 07:56:02 GMT 2001

I have a stabily running Samba 2.2.0 operation in place.  I've very
happy and for once don't have to fight with a box to do file sharing.
I've worked around some issues I've got (like ownership and ACLs) that
are not directly samba problems, in fact they are probably Administrator
problems.

However, I've reached an impass.  I can no longer use 2.2.0 because the
big beast of an OS is being shoved on me.  Suddenly my Samba controlled
domain has to support Domain logins and domain membership (as much as
possible) from a Windows 2000 Pro box with SP2 installed.  I've dug
through and sorted out that 2.2.0 doesn't really support joining a Samba
domain, but 2.2.2 does.  So, I've fought with getting new RPMs compiled
with the trash can patch applied and am ready to upgrade.  However...

Can I upgrade in place?
What options are going to be broken?
Will users lose connections if I upgrade while someone has a file
locked?

I don't wish to do this during the middle of the day, but new
restrictions in access to the building and people working at all hours
may cause me to do this while people would want to work.

Any ides would be appreciated.

Chris Tooley