Upgrading 2.2.0 to 2.2.2

Tim Villa tvilla at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Wed Nov 14 17:49:03 GMT 2001

At 09:54 AM 14/11/2001 -0600, Chris Tooley wrote:
>Can I upgrade in place?

Yep, at least if you're doing a compile.  I've not used RPM's or other
package installers so I don't know how they behave.  The "make install"
command will copy your existing binaries to ".old" files so they won't be lost.

The running binaries and the new ones on the server will coexist, at least
in my experience where I've had to do this a number of times.

>What options are going to be broken?

None that I'm aware of, although you'll want to check the documentation to
make sure.

>Will users lose connections if I upgrade while someone has a file
>locked?

The client will automatically reconnect if the connection is broken.

I can't speak for everyone, but I've done a number of "on the fly" upgrades
this way, and waited for a relatively quiet time to restart the master smbd
and nmdb.  There were never any (reported) problems associated with doing this.

Tim
--
Tim Villa, Network / Systems Administrator
Faculties of Economics & Commerce, Education and Law