samba and win98

RAD2921 - RADIGAN, TIMOTHY RAD2921 at cup.edu
Mon Nov 12 10:46:02 GMT 2001

i had samba working a couple of years ago with my win98 clients on a
small network.. but now i'm running into some trouble (since i've redone
my server)..

to start, i can logon from a win98 client and have it grab the profiles
the particular user's profile directory.. it even stores the profiles
when you log out.. now one would think that everything seems to be
working a-ok.. but here's where my problem starts.. when i test the
samba shares from my freebsd box using smbclient, i can logon to the
shares.. when i use the net use z: /home command from my win98 client i
can access that share and map the drive letter.. however, once i go into
the network neighborhood, there is one object in the window - Entire
Network - and when i double click that to browse the network, i get an
error message saying that it cannot browse the local network..

i've been reading the online samba docs and haven't found much of
anything.. but i know that i DID not create the machine account in
smbpasswd for the win98 client.. i'm not sure if that's why i cant
browse the network (i'm not at the machine right now to test) or not,
but i'll find out later..

here's another odd thing that's happening.. everytime i double click
Entire Network on the win98 box, i check my log files for samba.. and in
either the nmbd log or smbd log (i cant remember right now) i get the
error messages that use ftp cannot login.. i'm not using any guest
accounts.. which is why i found that to be odd..

i just think it's kind of strange that i can retrieve and store my
profiles but i cannot browse the network.. if anyone has any suggestions
please let me know.. i will try them out as soon as i can get access to
my samba server (later tonight)

thanks..

tim