Shortened sharenames

August Zajonc ml at augustz.com
Sat Nov 10 19:13:02 GMT 2001

This does not seem to be true. I of course tried connecting with the
truncated share name and received the following response.

tree connect failed: ERRDOS - ERRnosuchshare (You specified an invalid share
name)

I'll confess the defense of this silly 'feature' seems lacking in good
reasons. What is gained by the sharenames to 13 charachters? On the other
hand I can think of a NUMBER of reasons why simply displaying the sharename
is the proper response without doing "fancy" things like shortening it.

I've tried with -dA to see if I can get the rest of the share name to no
avail.

Thanks for your help, but I'm still unclear and why this doesn't simply
display the full share name and avoid this mess.

-AZ