smbmount/mount interaction

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Mon Nov 5 13:50:03 GMT 2001

Urban Widmark wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Nov 2001, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>
> > Urban Widmark wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I'm looking for some (user & technical) feedback on a change I'm
> > > considering on how mount and smbmount works together.
>
> [No feedback means that everyone is ok with it and that I move on to ask
>  the mount-people if they will accept a small smbfs mod - Just so you
>  know]
>
> > On an oddball side issue:  We now have kerberos (client and server)
> > support in HEAD - It would be handy to be able to do a kerberos
> > authenticated smbmount.
> >
> > I'll have to look at what is involved, but it can't take much effort.
>
> All smbclient does is set c->use_kerberos to True before calling
> cli_session_request. Or?

Yep, thats all.  It also needs the kerberos envrionment to remain intact
so it can find the TGT.

> The big question is then if something needs to be done at regular
> intervals to remain authenticated. "re-keying" was mentioned on
> samba-technical (renewable tickets?).
>
> Will the smb server start sending weird packets back to smbfs?
> Will it send packets even when not asked by smbfs?

Not that I know of, after the session setup.  The only thing might be:
what happens if the connection dies and the ticket has expired.  I'm not
sure exactly how kerberos deals with renewing the ticket - I hope its
still kept in the same file.

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Samba Team member, Build Farm maintainer        abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net