smbmount/mount interaction

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Mon Nov 5 13:35:10 GMT 2001

On Mon, 5 Nov 2001, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> Urban Widmark wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm looking for some (user & technical) feedback on a change I'm
> > considering on how mount and smbmount works together.

[No feedback means that everyone is ok with it and that I move on to ask
 the mount-people if they will accept a small smbfs mod - Just so you
 know]

> On an oddball side issue:  We now have kerberos (client and server)
> support in HEAD - It would be handy to be able to do a kerberos
> authenticated smbmount.
>
> I'll have to look at what is involved, but it can't take much effort.

All smbclient does is set c->use_kerberos to True before calling
cli_session_request. Or?

The big question is then if something needs to be done at regular
intervals to remain authenticated. "re-keying" was mentioned on
samba-technical (renewable tickets?).

Will the smb server start sending weird packets back to smbfs?
Will it send packets even when not asked by smbfs?

smbfs < 2.5 does not do async io. It barely survives netbios keepalive
messages. It is completely single threaded and can not handle the server
starting a conversation. I have plans for fixing this (problem appears
with oplock breaks too).

/Urban