(no subject)

Renier renier at bbd.co.za
Thu Nov 1 22:33:05 GMT 2001

Morning,

    I am sitting with a slight problem at the moment my situation is :

    I have a machine running Linux( Mandrake ) with Samba on and another with Win '98.

    I have a shared drive on my Win '98 machine. The Linux machine can see the shared drive and can write files to it.
    But what happens is that I create a file on my Linux machine and then I rename it to another filename on the shared drive of the Win '98 machine,  but there is a 2.5         second delay before my Win '98 machine sees the rename of the filename.

    I would just like to know whether you have encountered this problem before, and how I might fix the delay in the rename.

    Because when I run Linux( Redhat ) instead of Mandrake then the rename is instantaneous.

    Linux( Mandrake )
            File1.tmp ---> rename ( \\ Win '98\ Shared Drive\ File1.txt )                                                     ( Win '98 Machine picks up rename )
                                                                    |                                                                                |
                                                                    -------> ( Samba Server ) -- ( 2.5 second delay ) ------------->

    Linux( Redhat )
            File1.tmp ---> rename ( \\ Win '98\ Shared Drive\ File1.txt )                                                     ( Win '98 Machine picks up rename )
                                                                    |                                                                                |
                                                                    -------> ( Samba Server ) -- ( No Delay ) ------------------------>

Kind Regards
Renier Minne
( Developer )
Nomad Information Systems
082 940 7179
(011) 484-4740

renier at bbd.co.za
renier at nomadeft.com

Disclaimer and confidentiality note

Everything in this e-mail and any attachments relating to the official business of Barone, Budge & Dominick (Pty) Ltd (BB&D) is proprietary to the company. It is confidential, legally privileged and protected by law. BB&D does not own and endorse any other content. Views and opinions are those of the sender unless clearly stated as being that of BB&D.

The person addressed in the e-mail is the sole authorised recipient. Please notify the sender immediately if it has unintentionally reached you and do not read, disclose or use the content in any way.

BB&D can not assure that the integrity of this communication has been maintained nor that it is free of errors, virus, interception or interference.