Please Help...Help...Samba 2.2.2 : Problem in Migrating from NT T o Linux File Server with quota and winbind

ncc22, Gecis (CAP, GECIS) Gecis.ncc22 at gecis.ge.com
Thu Nov 1 20:47:02 GMT 2001

Dear Samba Team,

We have tried your suggestion and still we are facing few problems as listed below.

We tried :

winbind enum users = no
winbind enum groups = no

For preventing the CPU Utilization and Mem utilization by winbind daemon. But after that we are not able to use "getent passwd and getent group".

Again we changed the option back to

winbind enum users = yes
winbind enum group = yes

But the command "getent passwd and getent group " is now only returning local system users and groups, NOT  Domain users and Domain Groups. But wbinfo -u, wbinfo -g is working
fine.

*	If we are using winbind than how can we connect as root for taking ownership of any folder or file.

*	How can we assign permission from NT Explorer to a particular folder ? we went through documents but still facing the problem.When we are applying the new security it is
not taking effect.

*	Is there any method to use nt usrmgr.exe and srvmgr.exe to administer samba server.

*	After running the winbindd daemon we are unable to login in to the server it self by root account we tried DOMAIN+user also its taking a lot of time but not logging in.

*	Is there any other way to use samba server as a member server in the NT Domain without winbind , but we require unified login.
*
*	Is the site name www.ldp.org is correct ? Because its not providing us the details about quota support.

Please help us to resolve these issue. If you can provide us the contact phone nos that will help us alott to explain the online scenario of the problem.

Your suggestions and guidelines will be our driving force.

Best Regards
Deep Pandey
Network Control Centre (GECIS 22 A & B)
Gurgaon, India