W2K and Samba 2.07 problem

George R.Kasica georgek at netwrx1.com
Fri Jan 26 03:53:07 GMT 2001

Hello:

I'm running Windows 2000 Pro here and am currently using the Plain
Password patch, though the results are the same with either encrypted
or plain password.

When the system starts up here, and it is set to login to a domain
controller, the linux box running samba 2.0.7 I get the following
error:

Domain User SYSTEM failed to add this workstation to the NETWRX1
domain. The system reported: The procedure number is out of range.
Avoid this error by selecting 'Attach to this workgroup' in the
Network:Microsoft Networking Tab.

Everything seems to work normally though...I can see and access the
shares just fine as either a workgroup or the domain version...BUT it
would be much better to do the DOMAIN login here for various reasons
relating to other systems etc.

Here's the question...is there a way to make the Linux box which is
running as the PDC here allow this connect?? Following is my smb.conf
file:

[root at eagle lib]# more smb.conf
# Global parameters
        workgroup = NETWRX1
        server string = Netwrx Consulting Linux Server
        netbios name = EAGLE
        security = USER
        encrypt passwords = yes
        update encrypted = yes
        unix password sync = yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd
        local master = yes
        os level = 33
        domain master = yes
        preferred master = yes
        domain logons = yes
        wins support = yes
        wins proxy = yes
        dns proxy = yes
        syslog = 3
        syslog only = Yes
        log file = /var/log/samba_log.%m
        max log size = 100
        max xmit = 8192
        deadtime = 15
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        message command = logger -p daemon.notice -f %s ; rm %s
        max connections = 10
        min print space = 2000
        printing = bsd
        map archive = No
        browseable = Yes
        preserve case = yes
        case sensitive = no
        username map=/etc/samba.d/smbusers
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes

# Un-comment the following and create the netlogon directory for
Domain Logons
[netlogon]
   comment = Network Logon Service
   path = /usr/local/samba/lib/netlogon