samba user name case sensitivity

Peter Michael Düppenbecker peter at dueppenbecker.de
Tue Jan 23 19:37:44 GMT 2001

Hi Anthony,

you're right: Most client's (for example Windows) send the username and
password in capital letters. So, Samba does following:

1. Samba checks the username/password as they are submitted by the Client
2. Samba checks the usename/password in all lowercase letters
3. Samba checks the username/password in all lowercase letters with only the
first letter capitalized

But this doesn't help if you have a username like MrSuperman because Samba
only tests the name with MRSUPERMAN, mrsuperman and Mrsuperman. But you can
solve the problem with the global smb.conf parameters "username level" and
"password level". These parameters specify how many capital letters to use
when trying to match a username or password.

Usage:
[global]
username level = 8

(Of course, this doesn't work if you've got 2 Unix users like MrSuperman and
mrsuperman. But using such similar usernames should be avoided for many
reasons)

MfG PMD