"\r\n" vs "\n" between Unix and Win

Christopher Robison eeyore at earthdome.com
Tue Jan 23 20:50:44 GMT 2001

This could be a partial solution ... it's workable, but not very complete.
In the original author's situation, he's writing scripts, which may not have
any extension.  And declaring a share as "text files only" could be
potentially catastrophic if used by someone who didn't know that every
binary file sent there would be corrupted.

Basically, when you're creating something as fundamental as file-sharing
software or anything that works as a part of your OS's filesystem, you've
got to be paranoid. I don't think it will be soon when the authors of Samba
choose to include a feature that could potentially corrupt data. The idea of
having a feature that would change the contents of a file at all is
something they'd probably be wary of.

Maybe a solution like yours could work though, as a special-case
"you-better-know-what-you're-doing" feature.

  --eeyore