Novell ?

JON GERDES GERDESJ at gkn-whl.co.uk
Fri Jan 5 08:51:55 GMT 2001

Seth

You do have some choices but samba isn't one of them ... ncp isn't the same as smb, despite Novell NetBIOS.

* Out of the box NW5.1 has ftp as you mention.  Its not as bad as all that.  The username and password *is* authenticated via NDS, you have to enter a fully qualified bone fide NDS username and password to gain access.  FTP as a protocol is just as "secure" as smb.

*You can purchase NFS for NW5.1

*You can try out NDS for Linux - I haven't seen anything of it yet but I'd imagine file sharing is an option.  NDS Corporate Edition is your man - ther may be a limited user demo, which would be ideal for you.

*You can roll up your sleeves and write some pretty severe extensions to samba :-)

Cheers
Jon Gerdes

>>> "Seth Rothenberg" <SROTHENB at montefiore.org> 01/04/01 08:34pm >>>
Greetings,  samb'ers
Sorry if this is repetitive, but I can't imagine the answer is NO,
so I would like to trouble the list again....
My PC-maintaining colleagues ask,

"Can SAMBA log in to a Novell 5.1 file server and authenticate through NDS (Novell Directory Services)?
We are trying to use SAMBA to move files from our Sun to a Novell 5.1 server not running FTP services."

If the answer is NO, does anyone have an inexpensive solution to this - or, advice -
my PC people don't want to run FTP services on a server running an important application.

They are batting around the idea of Novell with FTP on an old (retired) server.

Or, can I tell a Novell server to use a Samba share as a sharable directory?

Thanks
Seth Rothenberg