smbd processes birth and death

Frederic Gilbert Frederic.Gilbert at inria.fr
Fri Jan 5 09:16:25 GMT 2001

Hello.

I'm running Samba 2.0.7 on Solaris 2.6.

Noticing that there was quite a lot smbd processes on the Solaris box, I
compared PIDs with those given by smbstat. I found that a lot of smbds,
some of them being several days old, did not correspond to any samba
connection.

So the question: I believed that a smbd process starts when someone
connects to a share, is associated with this connection, and dies when
the connection is closed.
Am I wrong, and if so when is the process supposed to die? Is it normal
that some smbd processes go on living after the connection is closed;
are they still doing anything?

Thanx,
F.G.
                    //
                   /^^\
                   \OO/
                   \../
Frederic GILBERT   '\/                     Frederic.Gilbert at inria.fr
INRIA Rocquencourt / SIR
Domaine de Voluceau                        Tel: +33 (0)1 39 63 57 85
BP 105, 78153 LE CHESNAY, FRANCE           Fax: +33 (0)1 39 63 55 96