Printer Problems across architectures

J. Hunter Heinlen hunter at trenza.com
Tue Feb 13 21:55:53 GMT 2001

Greetings, all

I am having some problems with a user at my worksite.  We are using
Linux (kernel 2.2.14-5.0 under Red Hat 6.2) running Samba as a print
server, and authenticating from another Linux/Samba server.  One of our
users has a laptop running W2k Pro, and whenever he takes his system
home, the next day, he has to delete the printers and re-install them to
get printing working.  We have several other users with identical
laptops (Dell Inspiron 5000) with W2k Pro, and no one else is having
these problems.  When we were using a Windows server for printing, he
did not have this problem (but there were allot of other problems to
deal with).  The errors are always 'unable to open default printer' and
'not able to find printer' for the other one.  When he goes to
'Computers Near Me', and double clicks on the print server's icon, it
will not accept any username/password combination (even those of other
users) until the printers are deleted.  Both are HJ 4050n Laser Jets.
Any ideas on how to solve this?  Printing is stable from every other
system in the company (except the Macs, but that is another story - they
are bypassing the server).  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Hunter
Trenza Corporation