Samba, LDAP and User-Shares

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Fri Feb 9 16:06:31 GMT 2001

Hi Roland;
Samba is depending on the underlying unix (linux) system calls to display
users, etc when requested.  So whatever method linux is set up to manage
users is the same method Samba will be using, in a way; system calls like
getpwuid, etc are called by samba, and these return results based on how
your unix box is configured to authenticate/store user information, whether
/etc/passwd, or NIS or LDAP, etc.
On HP-UX, the file /etc/nsswitch is used to determine the method; I don't
know how that is done in Linux.
Hope this helps,
Don