Samba, LDAP and User-Shares

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Fri Feb 9 14:29:26 GMT 2001

Hallo Roland,
My German language skills are poor, but perhaps  I can translate?
You have just installed the newest version of Samba (2.2.0alpha2) on Linux,
and at the same time you are working with an LDAP solution for Win2k on
Linux.  When you now under the NT or W2k DomainUser utility
add a user to the local Administrator group, every user which is found in
the LDAP Server is displayed, not only the ones found in the smbpassword
database. It turns out that by this action your Home directory on the server
was lost.  Does anyone know why?

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the ldap solution on linux. But
perhaps someone else on the list can now give you some ideas.  One thing
that would be useful is a copy of your smb.conf file, to see how you have
Samba running; in domain controller mode, user mode, etc...
Also, when you say your home directory on the server is lost, what does that
mean - does the directory actually get removed from your linux machine, or
is it there, but no longer is associated with the ldap user?
And which home directory - the one for the user you are 'adding' or some
other user?

Good luck,
Don