WIN2k/Samba speed isssue during file copys

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Fri Feb 9 13:25:02 GMT 2001

Seth wrote:
| Has anybody found anything regarding a work around or a patch? It is
so
| slow, the company wants to put win2k server in its place! The data
copys
| to the server at lightning speed, it just copys back at one tenth
the
| speed! a 35 meg file takes close to an hour after it copied there in
| about 20 secs.
| Note: I also noticed this does not happen at my other network that
has a win2k PDC

	This sounds like a problem we've seen a lot lately:
	half/full duplex and 10/100 Mbit/S mismatches.

	Try doing the same copys with ftp between exactly the
	same machines, and see if the performance is as bad. If
	it's far faster one way with 35mb files, you have a
	mismatch between the ethernet card and it's hub on at
	least one link between the machines.

	Alternatively, you have a broken card or driver (3com,
	usually!)

--dave
Performance & Engineering Team | some people and astonish the rest.
Americas Customer Engineering  |                      -- Mark Twain
(905) 415-2849                 | davecb at canada.sun.com