Unix machine taking over as PDC when NT PDC fails

IT.Helpdesk at lincolnelectric.com.au IT.Helpdesk at lincolnelectric.com.au
Tue Feb 6 21:03:38 GMT 2001

Hi All,

We run a predominantly NT network, but I have one unix box running samba that
      provides application and file

serving to the users desktop machines.  The problem we have is that if the PDC
      crashes, then the samba server

takes over as PDC and when the actual PDC is rebooted it cannot re-establish
      itself as the PDC because our

samba machine has the role.  We do not want this to happen but I'm not sure how
      to stop it.  As a work-around I stop

the samba daemons while the PDC is rebooting, but this is a poor solution.  If
      the PDC goes down

then the BDC should take over, not the samba server.  How do I prevent the samba
      server from ever taking the role

of PDC?  smb.conf file is attached below.

Thanks

Richard Brodie

MK / UNIX Administrator

The Lincoln Electric Company Australia

[global]
        #
        # Logging config : Low level of data logging, 50K file size limit
        #
        log level       = 1
        max log size    = 50
        #log file       = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
        log file        = /var/samba/logs/log.%m
        lock directory  = /var/samba/locks

        #
        # netbios and domain settings
        #
        netbios name    = lecsydmk01
        server string   = Samba %v on %L
        workgroup       = OUR_DOMAIN
        security        = domain

        password server = server_1 server_2
        encrypt passwords = yes

        os level        = 1
        local master    = no
        lm announce     = no

        # Do not allow guest logins - must have valid account
        guest ok        = no

        #  users need to be added to the samba group in /etc/group to get
        #  access to any shares on this server
        valid users     = @samba

        # define the map of windows login names and unix login names
        username map    = /usr/local/samba/lib/username_map

       # Password syncronisation configuration:
        unix password sync = yes
#      passwd program  = /usr/bin/passwd %u
#      passwd chat     = *password* %n\n *password* %n\n *
        passwd program  = /usr/local/bin/changePasswd %u %o %n
        passwd chat debug = yes
        dns proxy        = no
        min password length = 3

#
# share on home directories of users
#
[homes]
        # Only allow user to see their own home directory
        browseable      = no
        writeable       = yes

        # do not allow user to see or delete their hidden files
        veto files      = /.?*/
        delete veto files = no