Samba Performance

Edmund Featherstone Edmund.Featherstone at dwp.gsi.gov.uk
Mon Dec 31 01:40:03 GMT 2001

I have been testing out Samba as a possible replacement for our current Netware
4.11 server and I am a bit puzzled by certain performance aspects. I have Samba
shares on a Suse 7.3 box running Samba 2.2.1a and the performance seemed to be
fine but I noticed that when I opened Word or Excel files there was a 10-12
second delay before the data was loaded. When I switched my client from Windows
NT 4.0 to Windows 2000 the delay seemed to go away till I found that though the
data came up immediately I still didn't get back control of the mouse for about
10-12 seconds. I then tried opening the same files using OpenOffice and the
file loaded in less than a second so I don't think that it can be Samba.
Unfortunately our standard Office suite is Microsoft Office97/2000 so I need to
find out what is going on. Is this a known issue or has anyone else seen this
behaviour?

Edmund Featherstone
IT Support Manager
4th Floor Adelphi