Samba Performance

Rashkae rashkae at wealthmap.ca
Mon Dec 31 03:49:05 GMT 2001

The documents you were testing, did they happen to contain any embeded OLE
objects?  There was an issue discussed on the list recently (You'll have
to search the archives,) but it appears that when MS Office opens a
document with embeded OLE objects, it attempts to make a connection to
some un-SMB related port on the remote computer where the file is being
opened from. (In the case of Samba, there is nothing listening on this
port, so you have to wait for the operation to time out.) I don't believe
anyone here was able to explain this behaviour, but detecting it via log
files / network monitoring was somewhat well discussed.

On an asside, I really think you should update your SAMBA to the lastest
2.2.2 in CVS.. 2.2 release has been plauged with numorous little hard to
reporduce quirks, most of which seem to be fixed.

Dec 31  6:49am
                       _
ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
 - against HTML email  X