FW: Was: Win98SE and Samba 2.0.10 Problems

Foss.KS at forces.ca Foss.KS at forces.ca
Thu Dec 6 05:46:02 GMT 2001

Well as a further to my last, I broke down and put a copy of Win98SE on a
spare HDD in my Mandrake server box.  First moment it was up and running, I
tried to transfer the files between the two problem computers and BINGO! It
worked.  So sadly I must assume that the problem must lie on my Linux server
:(

As I have previously tried both Mandrake 8.0 and Redhat 7.1 and end up with
the same transfer problem, I must assume that the problem is down in the
2.4.x kernels.  I know that previous installations of RH6.2 and Slackware
7.0 have worked.  I know it is not a Samba problem, but something further
down in the network layer that is making the two PCs not talk properly.

I am going to start by putting RH6.2 on a separate partition and seeing if
it resolves the issues.

As an aside, a recent message to the list has someone with error that the
"file path was too deep".  I got this same message in WinXP after I upgraded
the Win98SE machine.

I still haven't lost faith in Linux cause Windows has way more problems that
I've had with Linux so far.

Kevin