SAMBA_2_2: Failure with smbmounted volume

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Thu Dec 6 05:41:03 GMT 2001

On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Esh, Andrew wrote:

[changing lists to keep this on topic]

> I have another problem with the latest SAMBA_2_2 to report. I have a volume
> mounted from Windows NT4 server onto a Linux Redhat 7.1 client machine using
> smbmount. When I opened a file while the volume was mounted using the old
> release-2-2-2 version of the source code, smb return value looked like this
> in strace:
>
> 	open("CVS/Checkin.prog", O_RDONLY)      = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
> directory)
>
> This is correct, and there is no problem. When I perform the exact same
> operation with the same volume mounted using the latest (as of 2001-12-03
> 19:30 GMT) code, the open returns this way:
>
> 	open("./CVS/Checkin.prog", O_RDONLY)    = -1 EIO (Input/output
> error)

I don't see how this could be related to any changes in smbmount. smbmount
is not involved at all in handling open syscalls as it only mounts. Are
there even any changes in smbmount between SAMBA_2_2 and release-2-2-2?

Perhaps someone has changed what smbmount negotiates.

Did you change anything else beside samba version?

EIO is commonly returned by smbfs when it has detected what it thinks is a
network problem, such as the server disconnecting. Do you get any messages
from the kernel? (dmesg)

/Urban