VPN?

Bill Moran wmoran at iowna.com
Sun Apr 29 13:20:11 GMT 2001

Oren Levy wrote:
> I hate to say it but in Windows 2k it's just a matter
> of a few clicks on the server and client. I'm hoping
> that it's not much harder with a Linux server/Windows
> client. Anything involving something like SSH will be
> too hard for most users.

And this is the exact reason that sites get cracked, credit card #s
stolen, etc. Because proper security is "too hard for most users."
I recommend taking a stand. It's much easier to fight against the lazy
(no, not stupid, lazy) users now than to fix the fubars after your
security has been compromised. Scaring them often works - you'll find
that most users are intelligent enough to understand but "don't have
time for this stuff and don't think they should have to worry about it."
Paint them the scenerio of their files being compromised in terrible
ways and they genererally become more compliant.
A VPN isn't all that hard to set up, and once it is you can map drives
from remote machines just like on any other network. Not using a VPN is
like mailing your passwords across the country in a celophane envelope.

-Bill