VPN?

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sun Apr 29 13:55:43 GMT 2001

Bill Moran wrote:
> And this is the exact reason that sites get cracked, credit card #s
> stolen, etc. Because proper security is "too hard for most users."

Ditto!  The common, open-ended VPN is a disaster for corporations.
All it takes is one node to get hacked and the entire corporation is
toast.  Worse is the installation of a fully-open VPN at people's
houses.

At my previous job, we used SSH as our VPN solution.  In the worst
case, we tunneled NFS mounts (as SMB is not easily tunneled over SMB
-- at least I haven't had any success).  But we also were able to
use Putty as a Windows GUI interface to SCP (secure copy, part of
SSH's capabilities).

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith         chat:thebs413 @AOL/MSN/Yahoo