[expert] Slow Copy WinXX - Linux/Samba :-(

David Rankin drankin at cox-internet.com
Thu Apr 26 03:42:09 GMT 2001

Randy Kramer wrote:

> I'm sorry I can't be very helpful, but I am curious:
>
> David Rankin wrote:
> > THE PROBLEM:
> >
> > Trying to copy an 8 meg file from Win95 to my Linux/Samba box (named
> > "Nemesis" - for good reason), the transfer speed slows to a crawl. The
> > Win95 copy dialog box starts out by saying 25 seconds remaining , then
> > 60 seconds remaining, then 2 minutes, then 5 minutes, and so on.  I HAVE
> > NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM IN THE PAST.
>
> Are you executing the commands from the Linux box or the Windows box (or
> does the "from" imply the box you are executing from)?

The Windows Box. Using windows explorer I am trying to move a couple of
directories from the Win95 machine to the new [Applications] share I created
on the Linux box "Nemesis"

> > When I set up my server, I copied all of my firm's data from the Win95
> > machine to "Nemesis" with no problem. Approximately 355 Meg copied in ~
> > 20 sec. (don't quote me on this, but it was less than a minute - after
> > not having to reboot the Linux machine since 1/19, my memory fades -
> > stupid human falability)
>
> 355 MB in 20 seconds is very fast -- are you sure that initial copy was
> successful?  (I'd expect at best, on a 100 mhz Ethernet, closer to 40
> seconds, and then I'd be impressed.

I really flew. Everything copied perfectly.

>  Are the 5 PCs connected to a hub or
> a switch?

Cnet 10/100 8 port hub uplinked to a Linksys cable/dsl 4 port router for net
access. All WinXX clients and "Nemesis" plug into the hub.

> On larger networks connected by hub, it's common to get 40%
> or less of the 100 mbps Ethernet as real "thruput".  If the initial copy
> wasn't successful, maybe that's part of the problem.  (But, if you made
> the initial copy back on 1/19/01, you would have recognized the problem
> before now.))

Thanks Randy

--
David Rankin