[expert] Slow Copy WinXX - Linux/Samba :-(

Randy Kramer rhkramer at fast.net
Sun Apr 22 11:45:16 GMT 2001

I'm sorry I can't be very helpful, but I am curious:

David Rankin wrote:
> THE PROBLEM:
>
> Trying to copy an 8 meg file from Win95 to my Linux/Samba box (named
> "Nemesis" - for good reason), the transfer speed slows to a crawl. The
> Win95 copy dialog box starts out by saying 25 seconds remaining , then
> 60 seconds remaining, then 2 minutes, then 5 minutes, and so on.  I HAVE
> NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM IN THE PAST.

Are you executing the commands from the Linux box or the Windows box (or
does the "from" imply the box you are executing from)?

> When I set up my server, I copied all of my firm's data from the Win95
> machine to "Nemesis" with no problem. Approximately 355 Meg copied in ~
> 20 sec. (don't quote me on this, but it was less than a minute - after
> not having to reboot the Linux machine since 1/19, my memory fades -
> stupid human falability)

355 MB in 20 seconds is very fast -- are you sure that initial copy was
successful?  (I'd expect at best, on a 100 mhz Ethernet, closer to 40
seconds, and then I'd be impressed.  Are the 5 PCs connected to a hub or
a switch?  On larger networks connected by hub, it's common to get 40%
or less of the 100 mbps Ethernet as real "thruput".  If the initial copy
wasn't successful, maybe that's part of the problem.  (But, if you made
the initial copy back on 1/19/01, you would have recognized the problem
before now.))

Good luck,
Randy Kramer