[expert] Slow Copy WinXX - Linux/Samba :-(

Randy Kramer rhkramer at fast.net
Thu Apr 26 11:56:05 GMT 2001

David,

Thank you for the information.

Just so anyone else reading this or the previous emails is not misled, I
should clarify my statement about the 40% throughput on an Ethernet (see
below).  As many people know, Ethernet is a collision sensing, multiple
access protocol.  A station wanting to send data listens on the Ethernet
and waits for a pause to begin sending data.  However, two or more
stations might start sending data at (about) the same time.  When they
sense interference, both stations stop and pause before making another
attempt.  The more stations are on a hub (or common segment), the lower
the throughput (assuming they all have something to transmit -- if some
of the stations don't have anything to transmit, they don't impact the
situation).  (I say this without knowing what "background" traffic may
be going over the Ethernet -- it would not surprise me to learn that
even a station with no (user) "data" to transmit is transmitting various
signals for other purposes (like time synchronization, keep-alive
signals, or whatever).)

BTW: A "switch" (as opposed to a hub, bridge, or coax segment) increases
throughput dramatically because it essentially makes all links point to
point (a maximum of two stations contend at a time).

Good luck,
Randy Kramer