Multiple Log Files for each machine

Mihai Radu mihai.radu at mathengine.com
Wed Sep 27 16:40:48 GMT 2000

Thanks Giulio, you pointed me in the right direction.

1 st line was

/var/log/samba/log.* {

This kept rotating logs that had already been rotated ex: log.dh68.1 &
log.dh68.2

I canged the smb.conf option to %m.log
them canged the /etc/logrotate.d/samba to:

/var/log/samba/*.log {
	size 100k
    	notifempty
    	missingok
    	postrotate
		/usr/bin/killall -HUP nmbd
    	endscript
}

/var/log/samba/log.smb {
    notifempty
    missingok
    postrotate
	/usr/bin/killall -HUP nmbd
    endscript
}

/var/log/samba/log.nmb {
    notifempty
    missingok
    postrotate
	/usr/bin/killall -HUP nmbd
    endscript
}

This seems to do the trick; another option is to put

/var/log/samba/^log.[a-b]*[0-9]*$ {

but I wasn't sure if regular expressions work in logrotate,
this way I have separate formats for machine logs %m.log & the daemon
logs smb.log nmb.log

--
  Mihai Radu, jr. sysadmin
  mailto:mihai.radu at mathengine.com