Password must be entered multiple times / nmbd has to be restarted

Nick Rozema nick at nwf.com
Wed Oct 25 23:02:07 GMT 2000

I searched the archives, but I couldn't find solutions to these two
problems:

1. Sometimes, users will enter their correct password during login from
Windows 95 and receive the following error "Domain password is not
correct or access to your login has been denied".  After the error, they
return to the login dialog and press enter again (without changing the
password).  This time it lets them in.  It's not fatal but its very
annoying.  It seems like some kind of timeout problem but I can't see
anything in the configuration.

I had this problem and traced it back to a reverse DNS lookup timeout. After
I put entries for our subnets in /etc/hosts, everything worked fine. Sorry,
no idea with the wins problems...