samba changes

Neil Hoggarth neil.hoggarth at physiol.ox.ac.uk
Wed Oct 18 14:52:51 GMT 2000

On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Andrew Wansink wrote:

> We are willing to pay for these modifications, however given that
> they are not likely to be of benifit to other users we would like
> them to remain our property.

Hi,

I'm afraid I can't help you out with the work, or with a quote, but I
thought that I ought to flag up a potential problem for you before you
spend any money ...

Anything you pay for is, of course, "your property" (ie. you own the
copyright). However, the tone of your comment implies that you want to
keep your changes proprietary. The *rest* of Samba remains the property
of Andrew Trigell, the Samba team, and other contributors. A combined
work consisting of "your property" and "Samba property" can only be
distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public Licence, because
that is the only legal basis that you have for distributing the bits
that you didn't commission.

If you intend to copy or distribute your modified version in any way,
then you can't keep your modifications proprietary from people who
receive it (you must give them source code if they ask for it) and you
can't prevent them from redistributing the modified version or
publicising your changes.

If your modifications are purely for internal use, and you don't plan to
distribute the modified version, then this may not apply ...

Regards,
--
Neil Hoggarth                                 Departmental Computer Officer
<neil.hoggarth at physiol.ox.ac.uk>                   Laboratory of Physiology