Several 2.0.6 questions

Mike Edmunds mike at gxt.com
Tue Nov 7 21:52:52 GMT 2000

Hi,

We are running RedHat 6.2 on an Alpha platform using Samba 2.0.6. I am
puzzled by several things that we are seeing now that we decided to take
the plunge and use Samba as our PDC. I realize that the PDC code in
2.0.6 isn't exactly complete, but it seemed to do enough of what I
wanted it to do at home that I was able to talk them into converting to
the more secure NT Domain logon scheme here at work. I still wonder if
maybe I need to get a 2.1 via CVS and roll my own, rather than using the
RPM files that came with 6.2. Comments? Questions follow:

1) Logging in via an NT4.0 machine, samba creates and updates
/home/mike/profile with all the Windows goodies (Desktop, Cookies,
etc.). This is what I expected. When I log in via a Windows 9x machine,
it writes all the Windows goodies directly in my home directory and
ignores the existance of the profile directory. What would cause this?
It did not do this under 2.0.5a at my house. Would it be better to do a
separate share (e.g., \\alfred\profile\%U) for everyone's profiles?

2) My users tell me that file locking doesn't seen to work in the same
fashion as it did before we decided to use Samba as a domain controller.
MS Word seems to hang for a bit, essentially locking the machine, until
you get a message about the file being in use. Could this be related to
us changing from a Workgroup scheme to an NT Domain scheme?

3) Previously under the Workgroup scheme, the NT boxes could see shares
on the 9x machines. Now, under the NT Domain controller scheme, access
is denied. Is this somehow related to the 9x machines not really being
in the domain (no trust accounts in the smbpasswd file)? Is there
anything I can do to fix this as it is fairly important that the NT
users see the 9x user's shares?

Thanks in advance for any help the list can provide.

Stumped,

Mike

  Michael S. Edmunds                           GX Technology Corp.
  Center Support Manager                       5847 San Felipe, Suite
3500
  Email: mike at gxt.com                          Houston, TX 77057
  tel: 713-789-7250                            http://www.gxt.com
  fax: 713-789-7201

           "Silence! I will not tolerate your insolence!" - Dr. Evil